When is Labor Day – Happy Labor Day: Quotes and Sayings 2017-18-19:
Beginning in the late 19th century, as the trade union and labor movements grew, different groups of trade unionists chose a variety of days on which to celebrate labor. In the United States a September holiday called Labor Day was first proposed in the 1880s.
An early history of the holiday dates the event’s origins to a General Assembly of the Knights of Labor convened in New York City in September 1882.
In conjunction with this clandestine Knights assembly a public parade of various labor organizations was held on September 5 under the auspices of the Central Labor Union (CLU) of New York.when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
Secretary of the CLU Matthew Maguire is credited for first proposing that a national Labor Day holiday subsequently be held on the first Monday of each September in the aftermath of this successful public demonstration.when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
An alternative thesis is maintained that Peter J. McGuire of the American Federation of Labor put forward the first proposal in May 1882, after witnessing the annual labour festival held in Toronto, Canada.when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
In 1887 Oregon became the first state of the United States to make Labor Day an official public holiday. By the time it became an official federal holiday in 1894, thirty U.S. states officially celebrated Labor Day.when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
Thus by 1887 in North America, Labor Day was an established, official holiday.
Following the deaths of workers at the hands of United States Army and United States Marshals Service during the Pullman Strike of 1894 in Chicago, the United States Congress unanimously voted to approve legislation to make Labor Day a national holiday and President Grover Cleveland signed it into law six days after the end of the strike.
Cleveland supported the creation of the national holiday in an attempt to shore up support among trade unions following the Pullman Strike.
The date of May 1 (an ancient European holiday known as May Day) was an alternative date, celebrated then (and now) as International Workers’ Day, but President Cleveland was concerned that observance of Labor Day on May 1 would encourage Haymarket-style protests and would strengthen socialist and anarchist movements that, though distinct from one another, had rallied to commemorate the Haymarket Affair on International Workers’ Day.
All U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the United States territories have made Labor Day a statutory holiday.when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
|Observed by||United States|
|Date||First Monday in September|
|2016 date||September 5|
|2017 date||September 4|
|2018 date||September 3|
|2019 date||September 2|
|Related to||Labour Day|
Happy Labor Day: Quotes and Sayings:-
- There is no substitute for hard work. – Thomas Edison
- The end of labor is to gain leisure. – Aristotle Work is no disgrace;
- the disgrace is idleness. – Greek proverb
- No great achievement is possible without persistent work. – Bertrand Russell
- Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop. – Ovid
- Work isn’t to make money; you work to justify life. – Marc Chagall
- Labor Day is seen as a day of rest for many hardworking Americans. – James P. Hoffa
- A man is not paid for having a head and hands, but for using them. – Elbert Hubbard
- Labor Day is devoted to no man, living or dead, to no sect, race or nation. – Samuel Gompers when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
- Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. – Confucius
- A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity. – Thomas Jefferson when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
- All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence. – Martin Luther King Jr.
- I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. – Thomas Jefferson when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
- If all the cars in the United States were placed end to end, it would probably be Labor Day Weekend. – Doug Larson when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
- Men are made stronger on realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own right arm. – Sidney J. Phillips
- The only liberty an inferior man really cherishes is the liberty to quit work, stretch out in the sun, and scratch himself. – H.L. Mencken
- Labor Day is a glorious holiday because your child will be going back to school the next day. It would have been called Independence Day, but that name was already taken. – Bill Dodds when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
- I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living but that it owes every man an opportunity to make a living. – John D. Rockefeller
- My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition. – Indira Gandhi .when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings
- A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life depend on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. – Albert Einstein
tag- when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings , when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings , when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings , when-is-labor-day-happy-labor-day-quotes-sayings